Redirect email account in freebsd

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Sat May 31 03:55:24 UTC 2008

Ruel Luchavez wrote:
> ALL Hi,
>
> I dont know if its right to post my problem here..

Yes.

> How would you redirect an email account?
> Lets put it in this way, we have an existing account namely account1 at pro.com
> ,account2 at pro.com and account3 at pro.com what i want is
> when someone send and email to account1 only (no cc: or bcc: from sender) ,
> account3 can also receive the message being sent
> to account1? is it possible?

If you're using sendmail (the default mail server in FreeBSD), probably
the easiest way is to edit /etc/mail/aliases and put the following line
in the file:

account1:  \account1, account3

and then run the newaliases command.

While this will not send account3 two copies of e-mail that the sender
sent to both account1 and account3, it will not check that account1 is
the only recipient.  If you need to strictly check that there are no cc:
or bcc: recipients, I suspect you will have to install something more
sophisticated, such as procmail from ports.

> I'm using the Thunderbird.

Or, you could set up rules in Thunderbird to do the forwarding from
there.  Of course, this means that mail gets forwarded only when
account1 checks for mail.

--Jon Radel