Need to build a new mail server

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Fri May 30 16:00:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, 29 May 2008 14:50:56 -0400
"N.J. Thomas" <njt at ayvali.org> wrote:

> * Patrick Baldwin <Patrick.Baldwin at studsvik.com> [2008-05-29
> 13:35:27-0400]:
> > I'm interested in both suggestions for hardware and mail servers
> > that would make for the best FreeBSD based mail server.
>
> A third vote for Postfix + Dovecot here.

Using Postfix and Cyrus-IMAP here, both on small Soekris-based
SOHO-Routers with a few users (5 to 20 per office), as well as
on a few big corporate networks with approx. 6000+ users each,
and many virtual domains.

Postfix has proved both dead-easy to configure and able to
withstand many waves of serious DDoS attacks by rate-limiting
itself. Its anti-spam features, if used right, are also quite
effective. I've used sendmail extensively in the past, and that
was not bad either, though a little tough to configure for edge
cases.

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/