Need to build a new mail server

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Fri May 30 15:39:14 UTC 2008

Eric Zimmerman wrote:
> Foo JH wrote:
>> I like Qmail. It's not overly difficult to configure, and it's
>> extensible.
>>

> and requires 400 patches to do basic things =(

List them, not 100, not 399, all 400 please.

Keep in mind that when your download x.x.x release of a software package
you are downloading a "patched" source code. Sendmail has been patched
many times, Postfix is patched, Exim is patched. qmail just requires you
apply your own patches. Patching is not a bad thing, shrinkwrap mail
admins applying patches that they do not understand is a bad thing.

> heres some interesting reading about qmail...
>
> http://www.dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~ma/qmail-bugs.html

That so much time and effort is spent telling everyone how bad qmail is
still amazes me. It is one of the best performing and most extensible
MTAs I have ever used. It is not however, suitable for those who choose
not to understand how mail works. Point and clickers should stay with
Postfix, also a very capable MTA.

DAve

--
In 50 years, our descendants will look back on the early years
of the internet, and much like we now look back on men with