Need to build a new mail server

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri May 30 15:05:13 UTC 2008

Patrick Baldwin wrote:
 > Hi all, I've got an older Solaris system running Sendmail for my
 > mail server right now.  It's about time to replace it, and I'm
 > thinking FreeBSD might be the best choice of OS for the replacement.
 >
 > However, it's been some time since I looked into options for mail
 > servers.  I'm interested in both suggestions for hardware and mail
 > servers that would make for the best FreeBSD based mail server.
 >
 > I've only got about two dozen users, though they are all very heavy
 > users of email.  I'm using IMAP, and I'd like to continue to do so.
 >
 > Finally, we have quite a few aliases I'd want to port over to a
 > new server.

I also recommend dovecot.  I'm using it for several years
without a problem, and it was quite simple to setup.

I'm using it with sendmail, though (not postfix), because
I've been using sendmail for almost 20 years and haven't
had a reason to switch.  If you're already familiar with
sendmail on Solaris, then I recommend you continue using
sendmail on FreeBSD (it's the default MTA that comes with
the base system).

Having said that, Postfix _is_ a very good MTA, I'm using
it at work.  If you're willing to switch and invest a
little bit of time learning something new, then Postfix
is certainly a good choice.  It's quite easy to install
Postfix from the ports collection.

Best regards
   Oliver

C++: "an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog"
        -- Steve Taylor, 1998