Asus eee (was Re: G4 Quicksilver as Web Server?)

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Fri May 30 12:52:20 UTC 2008

Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Tuesday, May 27, 2008 a las 04:16:44PM +0200, Matthias Apitz escribió:
>

>> El día Friday, May 23, 2008 a las 01:18:06PM +0300, Manolis Kiagias escribió:
>>

>>> Yes, I am already planning to upgrade :)
>>> At this time, it is not available in Greece (though I have spotted a few
>>> on ebay).
>>> Even more important than the 20Gb SSD is the 9 inch display with a
>>> resolution of 1024x600.
>>> 800x480 is really small for anything more other than taking notes.
>>>

> Maybe you know this page, Manolis:
>
> http://www.eeeuser.com/2008/05/04/eeeusercom-eeepc-900-in-depth-review/
>
> it has a detailed technical report about all items of which the 900 20GB
> model is made of;

Ah, nice! Thanks for the link. It will be a good read.
> a dealer in CH will get next week the original US version:
> http://www.stegcomputer.ch/details.asp?prodid=asu-e900-w

There are a few sold on ebay. I believe this model will also appear in
Greek eshops soon.
> take care, there is an issue about the battery having only 4400 mAh
> (because of some fire in an ASUS supplier) while the original model have
> had a 5800 mAh battery;
>
> 	matthias

I will wait then. I prefer to get a model with a larger battery. The one
I have now, lasts more or less 2 - 2.30 hours and I believe it has the
same 4400mAh battery.  The larger screen and SSD will probably make this
even less on the 900. Unlike larger laptops, I really like to work the
eee on battery only. In fact having to carry only this small laptop
instead of all the usual accessories is a big plus to me.

On a side note,  I am thinking of writing a complete article about
installing FreeBSD 7.0 on the eeepc, including customizations and
optimizations, different installations methods,  with links to download
ready-built customized kernels etc. Don't know whether it will have any
real audience though ;) Most people run some Linux distro on it or even
(gasp) Windows...