Delayed cronjobs

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Fri May 30 10:04:19 UTC 2008

On Friday 30 May 2008 11:19:10 Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> Let's say my system has been down for one day. Is it possible to
> automatically (re)start cronjobs on system startup that should have
> been run the day before?
>
> -- Jos

Hello Jos,

you might want to have a look at anacron(8).

From its man page:

Anacron  can be used to execute commands periodically, with a frequency
specified in days.  Unlike cron(8), it does not assume that the machine
is running continuously.  Hence, it can be used on machines that aren't
running 24 hours a day, to control daily, weekly, and monthly jobs that
are usually controlled by cron.

I hope that helps.

michael