Stumped:: web HTML. Caution, may be OT.

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu May 29 21:51:01 UTC 2008

	FWIW, I'Ve switch back to mutt.  i can't live without vi....

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 12:30:05AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Don't bother, Gary.
>
>   The world is moving towards CMS systems for hosting websites.

	do we have such a mngnmt system tool in ports??

>   The ultra-cheapo people use godaddy's site builder and
> put crap on a crappy-looking interface.

	HMmmm.   it's ben my experience that if you keep a page
	*simple*,  that serves best.   now i'm not talking about
	"Sam's New and Used Dildos and Computers" that's got animations
	screaming at you.   With 50 text and graphic ads/page plus
	flashing text.  i'm talking about something more together.
	low-impact AND inventive.   i've learned that if the
	content sux, all the bells and whistles won't help.

>   The better hosting companies each have their own site builders
> and look better, and are populated by acres of garden-variety corporate
> and the occassional personal sites.
>
>   Very, very few people custom-write sites in HTML anymore.
> Most people use sitebuilding software (frontpage was the original,
> it's deprecated now in favor of other newer tools) either running
> on their PC or on the server.
>
>   black text on blue is terribly hard to read for most people,
> read up on how the human eye works to understand why.

	the why is simple, reduced contrast; that's why i have black text
	on a white bg.  Or so i thought until i saw how konquorer
	(and opera) were munging my homepage.

	firefox displays a graphic [link] with a stylized "J"; it is not
	displayed by the other 2.  that might be where to start looking.

>   Put your time into loading a CMS system on your server then
> create your site in it.  Yes the learning curve is steep in
> the beginning but it's not rote memorization of HTML tags.  It
> is understanding how all the things work together.

	you probably didn't start with the earlier markup.  back then,
	'93-4, there was <BR>,<P>, <B>, and <EM>.   i wrote a 2.2K-line
	program to handle "hi" -> ``hi'' and a couple other things.
	the code has evolved, of course, but still works.

	looks like what i need NOW is a debugger, :-)   i have virtually
	zero design skills .... except "keep it simple"

	gary

> Ted

	[[ save the electrons ]]

--