Stumped:: web HTML. Caution, may be OT.

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Thu May 29 15:46:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 11:57:35PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	Several weeks ago a friend asked why my www.thought.org page
> 	was so hard to read.  She said that part of my text was black
> 	on the deep-blue bg on my RHS.  I stopped and checked with
> 	firefox; things looked fine.  I've done all markup by hand since
> 	'94, very carefully, with only browsers in the ports tree--
> 	mozilla, firefox, a couple others.

Others have suggested online validators. /usr/ports/www/tidy is another
that can check your code, even attempt repairs. Can also be used to
standardize the coding format much like GNU indent for C code. Comes
built-in to BBEdit on Mac where I do most of my HTML authoring.

Eyeballing your code the first thing that stood out was:

        BACKGROUND="/usr/local/www/data/Graphics/paper0.jpg"

Don't think that will work for anyone other than yourself, and only when
you are on the server itself. Unless one has a file with that exact same
name and path.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net