Need help with multicast routing over VPN

Michael Doyle itmngr at cooperationireland.org
Wed May 28 14:17:59 UTC 2008

My organisation has successfully used FreeBSD to set up a VPN between
three sites.

Now, in order to facilitate a phone system using VOIP between two of
those sites, I have
attempted to enable multi-cast routing between those sites.

I looked at the mrouted manual, and attempted to configure it properly
insofar as I understood it.
I also re-compiled the kernels of the firewalls to enable multicast
routing.

I have not succeeded in getting the phone systems to see eachothers'
multicast packets, and after
several attempts, all I have done is to crash the firewalls, and annoy
my staff members.

If someone has done this sort of thing before, I would be prepared to
send my config files to them
for review (/etc/rc.conf, /etc/ipsec.conf, /etc/mrouted.conf, /usr/
local/etc/racoon/racoon.conf and /etc/rc.firewall
are the files I think are of interest).

Both systems are running FreeBSD 6.3-stable as of friday of last week.

Mike