dump and remote file fetching

Zbigniew Szalbot z.szalbot at lc-words.com
Tue May 27 21:43:03 UTC 2008

Hello,

Need a word of advice. I use dump to backup my data. All fine. Dump
saves compressed *.bz2 files. Nice. All I need now is a way to copy them
from the server to a remote backup machine. The problem I am facing is
that bz2 files are owned by root:wheel. So if I use scp
user at domain.tld:/path/to/*.bz2, it does not have sufficient permissions
to fetch the files. I can use sudo, but then I need to interactively
type the password, which I would like to avoid.

Can you suggest simple ways of getting around this? I don't mind using
special tools for the job, especially if they are not too complicated... :)

Before firing this email off I took a look at rsync and it seems easy
enough to do just what I need but still many thanks for suggestions!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
www.lc-words.com