strange ps behaviour

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue May 27 09:54:13 UTC 2008

Michael Lednev wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme ?????:
 > > Michael Lednev wrote:
 > > > # pgrep radiusd
 > > > 1105
 > > > 33738
 > > > # ps ax | grep radiusd
 > > >  1105  ??  Ss     2:35,76 /usr/local/sbin/radiusd
 > > > # ps 33738
 > > >   PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
 > >
 > > It seems that the second matching process exited before
 > > the ps command was executed.
 >
 > It's repeatable.

That means that the radiusd process kept forking short-
lived child processes, for whatever reason.

 > The problem solved by restarting radiusd but it's a
 > little undesirable.

Sounds like a bug in radiusd was triggered somwhow.
I don't think there's a problem with ps, because ps
is unable to show processes that don't exist anymore.

Best regards
   Oliver

"In My Egoistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented
six feet downward and covered with dirt."
        -- Blair P. Houghton