cvsup RELENG_6_3 to RELENG_7 impaired gnome

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Mon May 26 21:54:37 UTC 2008

Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Uhm.  I think that's wrong.  I still have a few FreeBSD 4.x
> binaries that run fine on current versions of FreeBSD.  You
> just have to install the appropriate compat* packages (and
> the COMPAT_* options in your kernel, which is by default in
> GENERIC anyway).

Indeed.  My understanding is very old.  I never used any COMPAT stuff
since it became available.  I forgot it even existed.

The only time I would ever run COMPAT is if I had a bit of software that
couldn't be recompiled or was proprietary binary only software.  That's
just a matter of preference.

Regards,
Jason