Kernel for Dual Core

Jos Chrispijn jos at webrz.net
Mon May 26 16:12:36 UTC 2008

I have just subscribed to this mailinglist, so I do hope you forgive me
if I ask a redundant question about recompiling my Kernel;

Hardware: Dell OptiPlex 755
System is up and running (limping on one core, but hey, I should begin
somewhere :-)

For checking wheter my hardware would fit for SMP Kernel I did a

triton# /usr/sbin/mptable

MPTable

MP Floating Pointer Structure:

 location:            BIOS
 physical address:    0x000fe710
 signature:        '_MP_'
 length:            16 bytes
 version:            1.4
 checksum:            0x91
 mode:                Virtual Wire

MP Config Table Header:

 physical address:        0x000f0000
 signature:            'PCMP'
 base table length:    692
 version:                1.4
 checksum:                0x45
 OEM ID:                'DELL    '
 Product ID:            'Opti 755    '
 OEM table pointer:    0x00000000
 OEM table size:        0
 entry count:            78
 local APIC address:        0xfee00000
 extended table length:    0
 extended table checksum:    0

MP Config Base Table Entries:

--
Processors:    APIC ID    Version    State        Family    Model
Step    Flags
        0     0x14     BSP, usable     6     15     13     0xbfebfbff
        1     0x14     AP, usable     6     15     13     0xbfebfbff
--
Bus:        Bus ID    Type
        0     PCI          1     PCI          2     PCI          3
PCI          4     ISA  --
I/O APICs:    APIC ID    Version    State        Address
        8     0x20     usable         0xfec00000
--
I/O Ints:    Type    Polarity    Trigger    Bus ID     IRQ    APIC ID
PIN#
       ExtINT        active-hi   edge     4       0          8       0
       INT     conforms    conforms         4       1          8       1
       INT     conforms    conforms         4       0          8       2
       INT     conforms    conforms         4       3          8       3
       INT     conforms    conforms         4       4          8       4
       INT     conforms    conforms         4       5          8       5
       INT     conforms    conforms         4       6          8       6
       INT     conforms    conforms         4       7          8       7
       INT     conforms    conforms         4       8          8       8
       INT     conforms    conforms         4       9          8       9
       INT     conforms    conforms         4      10          8      10
       INT     conforms    conforms         4      11          8      11
       INT     conforms    conforms         4      12          8      12
       INT     conforms    conforms         4      14          8      14
       INT     conforms    conforms         4      15          8      15
       INT     conforms    conforms         0     1:A          8      16
       INT     conforms    conforms         0     1:B          8      17
       INT     conforms    conforms         0     1:C          8      18
       INT     conforms    conforms         0     1:D          8      19
       INT     conforms    conforms         0     2:A          8      16
       INT     conforms    conforms         0     2:B          8      17
       INT     conforms    conforms         0     2:C          8      18
       INT     conforms    conforms         0     2:D          8      19
       INT     conforms    conforms         0     3:A          8      16
       INT     conforms    conforms         0     3:B          8      17
       INT     conforms    conforms         0     3:C          8      18
       INT     conforms    conforms         0     3:D          8      19
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    26:A          8      16
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    26:B          8      17
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    26:C          8      22
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    26:D          8      19
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    27:A          8      16
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    28:A          8      16
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    28:B          8      17
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    28:C          8      18
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    28:D          8      19
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    29:A          8      23
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    29:B          8      17
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    29:C          8      18
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    29:D          8      19
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    31:A          8      16
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    31:B          8      17
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    31:C          8      18
       INT     conforms    conforms         1     0:A          8      16
       INT     conforms    conforms         1     0:B          8      17
       INT     conforms    conforms         1     0:C          8      18
       INT     conforms    conforms         1     0:D          8      19
       INT     conforms    conforms         0    25:A          8      21
       INT     conforms    conforms         2     0:A          8      16
       INT     conforms    conforms         2     0:B          8      17
       INT     conforms    conforms         2     0:C          8      18
       INT     conforms    conforms         2     0:D          8      19
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     1:A          8      17
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     1:B          8      18
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     1:C          8      19
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     1:D          8      16
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     0:A          8      16
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     0:B          8      17
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     0:C          8      18
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     0:D          8      19
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     2:A          8      18
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     2:B          8      19
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     2:C          8      16
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     2:D          8      17
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     3:A          8      19
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     3:B          8      16
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     3:C          8      17
       INT     conforms    conforms         3     3:D          8      18
--
Local Ints:    Type    Polarity    Trigger    Bus ID     IRQ    APIC
ID    PIN#

-- cut --

So far so good K-)

After this I made an SMP Kernel, based on GENERIC:

#
# MYNEWKERNEL

cpu    I686_CPU
ident    MYNEWKERNEL

options     SCHED_4BSD
options     PREEMPTION
options     INET
#options     INET6
#options     SCTP
options     FFS
options     SOFTUPDATES
options     UFS_ACL
options     UFS_DIRHASH
#options     UFS_GJOURNAL
options     MD_ROOT
options     NFSCLIENT
options     NFSSERVER
#options     NFSLOCKD
options     NFS_ROOT
options     MSDOSFS
options     CD9660
options     PROCFS
options     PSEUDOFS
options     GEOM_PART_GPT
#options     GEOM_LABEL
options     COMPAT_43TTY
options     COMPAT_FREEBSD4
options     COMPAT_FREEBSD5
options     COMPAT_FREEBSD6
options     SCSI_DELAY=5000
options     KTRACE
options     STACK
options     SYSVSHM
options     SYSVMSG
options     SYSVSEM
options     _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options     KBD_INSTALL_CDEV
options     ADAPTIVE_GIANT
options     STOP_NMI
options     AUDIT

# SMP kernel
options     SMP
device    apic

# CPU frequency control
device    cpufreq

# Bus support.
device    eisa
device    pci

# Floppy drives
#device    fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device    ata
device    atadisk
device    ataraid
device    atapicd
device    atapifd
device    atapist
options ATA_STATIC_ID

# SCSI Controllers
device    ahb
device    ahc
options AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT

device    ahd
options AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT
device    amd
device    hptiop
device    isp
#device ispfw
device    mpt
#device    ncr
device    sym
device    trm

device    adv
device    adw
device    aha
device    aic
device    bt

device    ncv
device    nsp
device    stg

# SCSI peripherals
device    scbus
device    ch
device    da
device    sa
device    cd
device    pass
device    ses

# RAID controllers SCSI subsystem
device    amr
device    arcmsr
device    asr
device    ciss
device    dpt
device    hptmv
device    hptrr
device    iir
device    ips
device    mly
device    twa

# RAID controllers
device    aac
device    aacp
device    ida
device    mfi
device    mlx
device    pst
device    twe

# atkbdc0 controls keyboard PS/2 mouse
device    atkbdc
device    atkbd
device    psm

device    kbdmux

device    vga

device    splash

# syscons is the default console driver
device    sc

device    agp

# Power management support
#device    apm
# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
device    pmtimer

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
# PCMCIA and cardbus bridge support
device    cbb
device    pccard
device    cardbus

# Serial (COM) ports
device    sio
device    uart

# Parallel port
device    ppc
device    ppbus
device    lpt
device    plip
device    ppi
#device    vpo

#device    puc

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
device    de
device    em
device    ixgb
device    le
device    txp
device    vx

# PCI Ethernet NICs - common MII bus controller code.
device    miibus
device    bce
device    bfe
device    bge
device    dc
device    fxp
device    lge
device    msk
device    nfe
device    nge
#device    nve
device    pcn
device    re
device    rl
device    sf
device    sis
device    sk
device    ste
device    stge
device    ti
device    tl
device    tx
device    vge
device    vr
device    wb
device    xl

# ISA Ethernet NICs. pccard NICs included.
device    cs
device    ed
device    ex
device    ep
device    fe
device    ie
device    sn
device    xe

# Wireless NIC cards
device    wlan
device    wlan_wep
device    wlan_ccmp
device    wlan_tkip
device    wlan_amrr
device    wlan_scan_ap
device    wlan_scan_sta
device    an
device    ath
device    ath_hal
device    ath_rate_sample
device    awi
device    ral
device    wi
#device    wl

# Pseudo devices.
device    loop
device    random
device    ether
device    sl
device    ppp
device    tun
device    pty
device    md
device    gif
device    faith
device    firmware

device    bpf

# USB support
device    uhci
device    ohci
device    ehci
device    usb
#device    udbp
device    ugen
device    uhid
device    ukbd
device    ulpt
device    umass
device    ums
device    ural
device    rum
device    urio
device    uscanner
# USB Serial devices
device    ucom
device    uark
device    ubsa
device    ubser
device    uftdi
device    uipaq
device    uplcom
device    uslcom
device    uvisor
device    uvscom
# USB Ethernet, requires miibus
device    aue
device    axe
device    cdce
device    cue
device    kue
device    rue

# FireWire support
device    firewire
device    sbp
device    fwe
device    fwip
device    dcons
device    dcons_crom

-- cut --

My question is now: would this be oke to compile a new Kernel for my
dual core based processor?

Thanks for sharing,

--Jos