cvsup RELENG_6_3 to RELENG_7 impaired gnome

KAYVEN RIESE kayve at sfsu.edu
Mon May 26 03:02:23 UTC 2008

I am feeling nuked from the freeBSD community right now and
I was trying to appropriately post to the gnome list but oh
well.  I don't have time for the continued bugs in my system,
I have _GOT_ to get this running pronto.  The subscription
to the gnome list seems to be hanging or lagging and my
paranoia meter says that some people are doing this because
crimeny the gnome list should have sent me at least 50 emails
by now.

Anyway.  To my stupid question that is probably too stupid
for hackers, but I am not subscribed to questions either I
just can't tolerate that in my time frames It is hard enough
letting the other lists go by.  Oh.  I should have tried to
subscribe to that but I am under the.. GGGAAAAH fine. If I
don't get that subscription notice by the time I finish this
then I'm sending it.  I suspect the composition should take
a reasonable amount of time for that to happen.

I did cvsup with the standard-supfile but I guess I used the
one from freeBSD 6.2 and I thought it would be kosher to change
the bit that said "RELENG_6_2" to "RELENG_7" so that's what I
did.  I used the ftp4.freebsd.org mirror and I did a cvsup.
Then I did cvsup with the ports-supfile but that one had
cvsup4.freebsd.org in it, so after that I was OMG and I changed
the ftp4.freebsd.org in the standard-supfile and redid that
cvsup.

Anyway. THen I started following instructions in /usr/src/Makefile.
My current professor runs FreeBSD and he suggested that method.
It looks pretty similar to stuff I have seen elsewhwere, plus
it was part of what cvsup slurped up that was supposed to be
specific to my version, right?  Anyway, here are the steps:

   IMPROVISATION: I did mergemaster -p here oops. (see below)
   make buildworld
                                     / make buildkernel
    make kernel <-| substituted for-<  make installkernel

  reboot -s  .. okay.  This is where I guess I am basic?  I
  don't think I used the loader prompt, I didn't use reboot -s
  hmm.. that probably would have been a good thing to type
  after #  I guess I am really stupid.  I did shutdown -r now
  and when the devil came up I pressed "4"  Then I typed
  "mount -a" and then..

  mergemaster -p and that is a ball of wax depicted here:

   http://www.monkeyview.net/id/965/fsck/inst_world/index.vhtml
  The same thing happened the first time I did mergemaster -p
  tells my spidey sense "oh oh."

   Anyway.   Then I did make installworld and had a bad thing
   something about "make doesn't get it" but I fixed that by
   googling it.  Oh here it is:
   http://www.monkeyview.net/id/965/fsck/inst_world/p5240176.vhtml
   anyway, don't worry too much about that I fixed it by doing:
   /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster/mergemaster.sh -p  and had the
   same trials and tribulation of hitting 1000 space bars at the
   right time with intercelated 1000 return keys (actually maybe
   more like 300 space bars and 200 return keys) and then, saints
   be praised, make installworld did some presumably nice things
   so then I did:

    make delete-old

    like /usr/src/Makefile said and OMFG I had to hit "y" 200 times
    now.

    mergemaster -U

    300 more space bars 200 more return keys

   make delete-old-libs

   and now I have provided some pictures of what happens when I try
   to start up.  I get to the devil and then it looks like

   http://www.monkeyview.net/id/965/fsck/fb7/p5250001.vhtml
   http://www.monkeyview.net/id/965/fsck/fb7/p5250002.vhtml
   http://www.monkeyview.net/id/965/fsck/fb7/p5250004.vhtml
   http://www.monkeyview.net/id/965/fsck/fb7/p5250005.vhtml

   I broke my gnome and my nessus which is the thing I absolute
need  pronto!  I am not trying to be demanding I am just informing
everybody that I am under pressure here and I have no idea what to
google at this point.