Best nVidia card for Xorg on FreeBSD?

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Mon May 26 02:48:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, 26 May 2008 10:54:28 +1200
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz> wrote:

> Support for the nVidia on FreeBSD from the vendor is also incomplete:
>   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2006-June/016995.html
> The feature request from nVidia appears to have stalled

That article says:

"While the following is focused on the NVIDIA FreeBSD graphics drivers,
we believe the interfaces discussed below are generally applicable to
any modern high performance graphics driver."

Aside from the amd64 specific issues, it's doesn't seem to imply that
NVIDIA cards are particularly disadvantaged, just that NVIDIA are the
only company to make an effort with FreeBSD.

> In short, nVidia cards are usable, but performance can be
> exceptionally bad.

The xorg nv driver is certainly poor, but is there any reason to
believe that the nvidia driver is inferior to drivers for other
graphics cards. I've never heard any great claims for their 3d
performance.