Can I Reinstall FreeBSD Over SSH?

Christian Zachariasen chrizach at gmail.com
Sun May 25 09:31:41 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 9:42 AM, "Kyrre Nygård" <kyrreny at broadpark.no>
wrote:

> My server is getting kinda messy, but my ISP charges too much for a
> reinstall. Can I do this myself over SSH? Or perhaps there are ways to make
> ones system as clean as a fresh install? Thanks.
>
> Much obliged,
> Kyrre

(sorry, forgot to send this to the list as well)

You have a server at an ISP?

I'd say you'll need physical access to do an actual reinstall, unless
they're using some kind of virtualization and you have access to that.

But how is the server getting "messy"? In most cases you can just remove the
software you're not using, and reclaim disk space that way. Also make sure
any unneeded services are removed from /etc/rc.conf. To be honest, though -
I've never felt the need to reinstall FreeBSD unless I was doing a major
update as well (5 -> 6 for example).

Christian Zachariasen