anti-aliased fonts

Girish Kulkarni girish at hri.res.in
Sat May 24 15:50:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have been trying to get font anti-aliasing and sub-pixel sampling
right in Xfce 4.4.3 and GNOME 2.22 on FreeBSD 7.0 for my laptop.

The handbook [1] has the following to say on anti-aliasing in its
section 5.5.3:

    Beginning with XFree86 4.3.0, all fonts in X11 that are found
    in /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/ and ~/.fonts/ are automatically
    made available for anti-aliasing to Xft-aware
    applications. Not all applications are Xft-aware, but many
    have received Xft support. Examples of Xft-aware applications
    include Qt 2.3 and higher (the toolkit for the KDE desktop),
    GTK+ 2.0 and higher (the toolkit for the GNOME desktop), and
    Mozilla 1.2 and higher.

Although I succeeded in getting the effect on the GNOME panels and
other GTK applications, some applications like Firefox and rxvt seem
to be having problems with anti-aliasing. I have kept a sample on the
web to show how terrible this looks [2]. How do I achieve
anti-aliasing in these applications, especially in Firefox? (I have
several---Truetype or otherwise---fonts available and fp is set up
suitably.)

Thanks,
Girish.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html#ANTIALIAS