Freebsd behind a proxy

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Fri May 23 00:15:19 UTC 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008 15:29:16 +0100
"Dela Benson Bani" <dbani at watradehub.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> i have my FreeBSD behind a squid proxy server and i'm unable to
> connect to the internet.
>
> Can you help me with where i set the env (FTP_PASSIVE_MODE)variable to
> enable me connect either through the proxy or something that will
> work.
FTP_PASSIVE_MODE wont help, you need to set http_proxy, e.g.:

(for csh, tcsh)
setenv  http_proxy http://squid.example.com:3128

or
(for sh, bash, ksh, zsh etc)
export http_proxy=http://squid.example.com:3128

I would suggest you put them in /etc/csh.cshrc and  /etc/profile
respectively so they apply to everything.

Any GUI applications, like Firefox, will probably need to be set
individually.

You might conceivably need to set ftp_proxy and the capitalised
versions: HTTP_PROXY and FTP_PROXY, but I think everything should
fall-back to http_proxy.