Asus eee

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu May 22 06:19:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008 19:44:31 +0300, Manolis Kiagias <sonicy at otenet.gr> wrote:
> Matthias Apitz wrote:
>>>
>>>         http://nighthack.org/wiki/EeeBSD
>>
>> Thanks for that hint. I'm thinking in buying such a device to have it
>> with me as a typewriter, mostly; normally I use FreeBSD 7.0-REL on my
>> laptop with around 200 compiled ports: KDE, OpenOffice, Lyx,
>> StarDict, ...  the compilation normally takes 2-3 days to have it all
>> ready;
>>
>> Of course, on that limited device with 4 or 8 GByte SSD it is not an
>> option to compile the stuff up from /usr/ports on the system itself,
>> not only from the point of view of disk space, but also because of
>> the limited lifetime write cycles of the SSD;
>>
>> In short: what would be the easiest way to move the installed ports
>> from my laptop to such an Eee PC? can I make, for example, packages
>> from my ports and install them?

Hi Matthias,

Yes, you can 'move' the prebuilt packages from your main box :)

> - Do not compile anything on the eee. It wil be a test of its abilities
> and your patience. Compile the kernel on another a PC and copy it via a
> USB key. Either use ready made packages (possibly after setting
> PACKAGESITE to packages-7-stable) or use 'make package' on your main pc
> to create packages and transfer them.

Alternatively, you can use `pkg_create -b' to save the installed copies
of a few ports, and move them over.  Installed packages can be saved
anywhere you prefer to store them.  I some times use `/usr/pkg'.

As an example, if you have `procmail-3.22_6' installed, you can create a
package even after you clean its port build directory with:

    # cd /usr/pkg
    # pkg_create -b procmail-3.22_6

This should save the package in `procmail-3.22_6.tbz' in the current
directory.

Then you can move the *.tbz file(s) to the EeePC and install them with
`pkg_add', as Manolis described.