Which version

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Thu May 22 02:39:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 10:32 +0200, Christian Zachariasen wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Russell Schoen <schoenr at mrcable.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Do you have a version that will run with an AMD Sempron 3100+, 1.8Ghz, 32
> > bit, X86 family processor?

> Please do some reading before asking questions on the mailing list. The
> FreeBSD Handbook (google it) is an excellent resource and will
> answer most of your questions about FreeBSD.
>

> But to answer this specific question: Yes, it's called FreeBSD. Just get the
> latest release (7.0) and install it.
>
> Christian Zachariasen

And your answer doesn't answer the OP's question.

I think the OP was asking which "platform" to use.

7.0 is the stable release
and you need the i386 platform.

something like 7.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso is what you need -- burn this
image to CD and then boot off the CD.

The handbook is still an excellent resource.
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook

good luck, feel free to ask questions, after searching a bit.  It makes
us understand the question better and quicker response.

Enjoy!