Multiple instances of BIND at startup

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Wed May 21 16:45:36 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

I am attempting to configure a BIND 9 name server that will be
authoritative for certain domains which will listen exclusively on IPv6.

This same box will also be a caching server for a handful of networks
(IPv6 and IPv4).

The way I have it set up is that the authoritative and caching services
each run a single instance of BIND on it's own IP address, with both
instances each doing exactly what they are supposed to do.

However, how can I make the FreeBSD (7.0) startup scripts load both
instances of BIND, each with it's own configuration?

I've read through the Administrators handbook for BIND and numerous
newsgroup postings about 'views', but I don't think this is what I want.
It seems 'views' are more for split-DNS, segregating internal access and
external access to the same service. That is not what I am after.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Regards,

Steve