rc script REQUIRE-ing a service on another host

Jonathan McKeown jonathan+freebsd-questions at hst.org.za
Wed May 21 09:14:25 UTC 2008

We had a power failure last night, and this morning I found that imapproxyd
(running on a webserver which provides webmail) had failed to start because
it depends on imapd (running on the mailserver, a different host), and
imapproxyd had won the startup race.

I need to prevent the race by making one service depend on another service
running remotely. While I sketch out some horribly untidy fix, can the
Lazyweb tell me if there is already a neat solution for this?

Jonathan