Server crashing, no explanations

Tobias Hoellrich thoellri at adobe.com
Tue May 20 17:16:07 UTC 2008

Same here: my aging Dell with ECC Rambus (yes, Rambus) memory was
rebooting without producing a panic and thus without a chance for a
crash-dump, because one memory bank on the system was failing.

However, the BIOS on the system was nice enough to tell me about the
memory errors and even tell me which module it thought it was.

That may be something you should check on your system (meaning: BIOS
error log - if you happen to have one of those).

Cheers - Tobias