Server crashing, no explanations

Alan Gilmour alandgilmour at gmail.com
Tue May 20 15:08:03 UTC 2008

Hi Roberto,

There's nothing in /var/crash

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Alan

On 20/05/2008, Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari at supsi.ch> wrote:
> Crash dumps should help.
>

> Alan Gilmour wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > We have recently been getting a lot of traffic to one of our sites.
> > The CPU is consistently during busy periods using 100% utilisation.
> > When this happens we have approx 150 apache threads, and the loads
> > goes way above 15.
> >
> > However recently the server has been auto-restarting (when under heavy
> > load) with no explanation in any logs. I've checked the console log,
> > messages, db logs e.t.c. but no mention of anything wrong.
> >
> > Brief server summary :
> >
> > FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE #0:
> > CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2800.11-MHz 686-class CPU)
> >  Logical CPUs per core: 2
> > real memory  = 17716740096 (16896 MB)
> > avail memory = 16837763072 (16057 MB)
> > FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs
> >
> > We tried installing mbmon and lmmon and healthd, but none seem to work.
> >
> > Anyone got any suggestions for other things we can try to detect why
> > the server is failing? or other ways to check things like CPU temp and
> > memory status?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Alan

This message, together with any attachments, is for the confidential
and exclusive use of the intended addressee(s). If you receive it in
error, please delete the message. All information contained within
this e-mail is without prejudice. Do not disclose, copy, circulate or
use any information contained herein.