SVN Advice

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Tue May 20 11:58:01 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 06:05:38AM -0500, montag at activeattack.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm seeking to set up an SVN repository on my home machine.  I've come
> across the following two guides:
>
> http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/freebsd/misc/subversion.php
>
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2007/09/27/subversion-for-bsd-with-all-the-bells-and-whistles.html

I guess you've looked at the svn book (which is what I used):

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/index.html

but I don't use Apache, I use the built in server for checking out
stuff over my LAN. You could use this and use tcp wrappers to restrict
checkout/checkin to your home IP.

The line I've got in inetd.conf:

svn   stream  tcp  nowait  frank  /usr/local/bin/svnserve  svnserve -i

and in hosts.allow:

svnserve: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 : allow

> The second one is certainly overkill for what I need (I just want to use
> it to manage my personal projects, since I work remotely a lot).  I'd
> definitely like a password protected web interface though.  My issue is
> the following.  In both guides (and in all the other ones I've come
> across) Apache is compiled with options that I did not select when I
> installed Apache a while ago.  I'd rather not have to redo everything I've
> set up with my web server.  Is there any way I get include those modules
> (namely WITH_BERKELEYDB) without having to recompile?  Also, any advice
> relating to setting up Subversion on FreeBSD in general.

I think the easiest method to add modules to Apache is rebuild but
make sure you run: make config in the ports dir before building.

If your source code is precious to you, then you can use svn over SSL,
I believe.

I don't think there is much to know about building/running svn on
FreeBSD that is particular to FreeBSD - svn is just a load of perl
scripts AFAIK.

> Appreciate the help,
>
> montag

HTH a bit.