Problem Sending Mail With Postfix

Sahil Tandon sahil at tandon.net
Tue May 20 02:15:33 UTC 2008

On May 19, 2008, at 4:17 PM, Montag wrote:

> host mx1.free.bsd.org said: my.mywebsite.com: Helo command rejected:

Are you sure it wasn't mx1.freebsd.org?  And are you mangling
my.mywebsite.com or is that really the hostname with which your server is
configured to EHLO/HELO?  The FreeBSD MXs also run Postfix and employ the
reject_unknown_helo_hostname restriction; it rejects HELO and EHLO hostnames
that lack DNS A or MX records.  Your log excerpt looks suspicious because
my.mywebsite.com does have a valid DNS A record:

	my.mywebsite.com.	96	IN	A	208.87.33.150

> Any thoughts?  I typed "sendmail -bp" to print that, which is curious,
> because I'm pretty sure sendmail is not running; Postfix should be handling
> everything.

It is actually Postfix behind the scenes!  See man mailwrapper(8) and the
contents of /etc/mail/mailer.conf.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil at tandon.net>