VPN setup question

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun May 18 22:42:23 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 06:02:14PM -0400, Steve Lake wrote:
> At 10:53 PM 5/18/2008 +0200, Mister Olli wrote:
>
> >- what kind of traffic do you wanna protect?
>
>         Everything if possible.  Basically I'm trying to create a
> protected Internet connection by using the VPN to allow me to connect to my
> vpn server at my home office over an insecure public connection.  I would
> then use that vpn connection to securely securely surf the web from
> anywhere in the US or the world.

From what I'm reading, it looks like you want a secure proxy rather than
a VPN, per se.  SSH can be used to provide that functionality very
simply:

  http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=408

That explains how to use SSH for remote proxy service with Firefox, but
it's simple enough to do the same thing with Pidgin for IMs and a number
of other applications.  Would that solve the problems you want solved?

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
MacUser, Nov. 1990: "There comes a time in the history of any project when