Stop building all those kernel modules

Luke Dean LukeD at pobox.com
Sun May 18 00:33:07 UTC 2008

I'm trying to use nanobsd to build a small kernel for an embedded system
on FreeBSD 7.

In previous versions, I could modify GENERIC by just commenting out all
the devices and options that I wasn't interested in, and buildkernel
KERNCONF=myconf would happily ignore all the things I wasn't interested in.

This no longer works.  Now everything gets built, even things that are
broken/incompatible with other options I've chosen.

I've tried setting NO_MODULES=YES, but the modules were still built.
I see documentation for WITHOUT_MODULES, but it wants me to list every
module I don't want to build?  Come on!  There must be a better way...