Need your Advice for New Dell Servers in connection to FreeBSD?

VeeJay maanjee at gmail.com
Fri May 16 12:12:54 UTC 2008

Hi guys, I need your advice:

I am IT manager with a company who is running couple of websites having 2-3
million hits per month each.
Present configuratoins is:
Dell PowerEdge 2950 (2 processors)
4GB RAM
4 discs (15000rpm SAS 146GB)
RAID10
Operating System: FreeBSD

Actually, company is planning to buy couple of Dell server.

1. Is Dell is good choice? And which model is the best?

2. How much RAM should be on each machine? How much memory FreeBSD can
access and use?

2.1 Company also wants to make Video Clips availible on website, Could it be
possible with Apache running on FreeBSD?

3. Which processors should be on the machine?

4. Is 15000rpm SAS is good choice? (Because, websites are using MySQL
database too)

5. Which RAID configuration is most secure and fast?

I will really appreciate your suggestions....

With bundle of thanks!

VJ

--

BR / vj