arplookup 0.0.0.0 failed: host is not on local network

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Wed May 14 22:32:31 UTC 2008

Christer Solskogen wrote:

> Derek Ragona wrote:
>
>> I would do a traceroute from all your hosts there.  When you do keep
>> an eye out for the arp error message.  This should help find the host
>> causing these errors and then look at that systems configuration.
>>
>> Also do you have more than one ethernet interface in the system
>> showing the arp errors?  If you do, make sure the interfaces are on
>> different subnets.
>>

> traceroute dont show anything(no response). Only ping responds, and ping
> respodns with "192.168.0.1" - which is my router. My router on the other
> hand do not have this arp problem. Only the other machines.
>
> Every machine, except my router, have only one interface. (my router has
> two, butthey are on to different subnets)

OK, this problem amused me enough to play around.  Unfortunately, while
I was able to, somehow, replicate the log entries on a FreeBSD 6.2 box,
I don't know how, as it was a box that I wasn't using for my experiments
(though on the same LAN segment as those I was using) and it was only
the next day that I realized that it had taken offense at something I'd
done.  By then I'd forgotten what I'd tried in which order....

In any case, what I can tell you:

On FreeBSD (various versions from 4.9 to 7.0) and MacOS X 10.4, ping
0.0.0.0 appears to be the equivalent of pinging the ipv4 default gateway
(if you use tcpdump you can actually see the packets with a destination
address of 0.0.0.0 go out and the replies come in).  OpenBSD 4.2 and
Windows XP basically tell you can't do such a foolish thing.  I think
this is a red herring.

I doubt you have an interface with a 0.0.0.0 address.  What I suspect
you have is some software, somewhere on the same segment as the machine
logging the complaints, that is triggering an ARP query for 0.0.0.0.

If you really want to track this down, what I'd strongly urge you to
start with is to, on a machine where the log entries happen, run the command

tcpdump -vvv -n -l -e arp

and see if you can catch ARP traffic mentioning 0.0.0.0.  If you catch
one, this will give you the MAC address of the source of the traffic.  I
would hope that this would help narrow it down.

Meanwhile, I'll see if I can replicate this when I'm paying a bit more
attention.  :-)

--Jon Radel