lwresd howto

Mark Foster mark at foster.cc
Wed May 14 21:18:34 UTC 2008

I need something I can run locally to intercept and cache DNS responses.
BIND is not the answer (too heavyweight) and dnsmasq doesn't appear to
cache.

nscd is what I'm used to on Linux but it doesn't seem to be in FreeBSD.
Something called cached but I don't see it on the systems I'm working
with (5.4, 6.1, 6.2 yea I know out-of-date so don't even say it).

So I am considering lwresd(8)

Can I use lwresd ? The documentation for how to do so are unclear.
I've found:
http://www.isc.org/sw/bind/arm93/Bv9ARM.ch05.html
and reviewed the lwresd(8) man page but there is not a good example of
how to setup correctly.

Also the ISC doc mention putting lwserver entries into resolv.conf but
these are not mentioned in resolver(5).

I have tried putting lwserver 127.0.0.1 and nameserver 127.0.0.1 while
running lwresd but not getting response.

Does some kind soul have this working and can provide some example or
advice?

--
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Mark D. Foster, CISSP <mark at foster.cc>  http://mark.foster.cc/