Firefox and Thunderbird annoyance in TWM

John Wynstra jwynstra at nyc.rr.com
Tue May 13 23:46:16 UTC 2008

I have FreeBSD 7.0 running on a PC at home which was formerly running
Windows XP until I couldn't stand it anymore.  I had both of the latest
Thunderbird and Firefox installed on it as my mail application and web
browser.  Unfortunately I am unemployed so I was in the habit of using
Dice via Thunderbird which when I double clicked the job advertisements
would bring up the appropriate Firefox window auto magically.  This is
now broken.  I don't know why but it is annoying.  I thought it might be
the pointer follows mouse focus policy but I was wrong.  That is the
default focus policy under my window manager (twm).  BTW I had thought I
was running fvwm instead of twm but evidently I was wrong in selecting
the location of one of the initialization files.  I use startx to start
X11.  An odd thing is that if I double click within Firefox as for
instance when I am managing my bookmarks file it will raise the screen
selected.  It is only when I double click from Thunderbird that this is
broken.  Once in a while an odd thing like when moving the mouse over
one window will raise another in addition to changing focus.  Another
annoyance.

-- John <jwynstra at nyc.rr.com>