Converting AVI and MPEG Into Still Images

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue May 13 19:33:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 07:22:17PM +0000, D Hill wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2008 at 13:12 -0600, perrin at apotheon.com confabulated:
>
> >On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 06:31:53PM +0000, D Hill wrote:
> >>
> >>Is there anything in the ports tree I can use to convert AVI and/or MPEG
> >>videos into individual frames as jpg or a different still graphic format?
> >
> >MPlayer should be able to do that.  By the way, AVI is a container
> >format, not a codec, and most AVIs use MPEG (in my experience) for video
> >codec.
>
> Thanks for the info. I had not realized MPlayer does that. Josh Tolbert
> also made the same suggestion. I shall pursue figuring out how it's done.

There are at least two frame capture options for MPlayer that can be
activated during playback -- I've gotten "screenshots" from video in the
past in this manner, using the option that grabs many frame captures over
a short period of time so that I could pick from among several to get the
best image.  There may be other ways to do the same, or something
similar.

If I remember correctly, using the -vf option when you start MPlayer
allows you to grab screenshots with the s (for single) or S (for constant
frame capture) keyboard commands while it's running.  I don't know what
the GMPlayer interface offers for the same functionality -- never use the
thing.

Best o' luck.

Dr. Ron Paul: "Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when
terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons."