Linux compat library error: ELF file OS ABI invalid

Glyn Millington glyn at millingtons.org
Tue May 13 14:33:14 UTC 2008

Tijl Coosemans <tijl at ulyssis.org> writes:

> On Tuesday 13 May 2008 10:14:54 Glyn Millington wrote:
>> FreeBSD 7.0 release, ports currently up-to-date
>>

>> Trying to launch Linux Open Office 2.4 I get the following error message
>>

>> ,----
>> | /usr/compat/linux/opt/openoffice.org2.4/program/soffice.bin: error while
>> | invalid
>> `----
>>
>> Now I *think*   that what it ought to load is
>>
>> /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6
>>
>> but it goes for the FreeBSD X extension lib instead.
>>
>> Can anyone help me to fix this?
>
> If /compat/linux/usr/local doesn't exist, perhaps making it a symlink
> to X11R6 does the trick.

Spot on!!    Many thanks :-)

What I don't understand is why that works, when
/compat/linux/etc/ld.so.conf points at the right place in the very first
line!

,----
| include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
| /lib
| /usr/lib
| /usr/local/lib
`----

The only .conf file in  ld.so.conf.d is

xorg-x11-i386.conf

which contains the line

/usr/X11R6/lib

Is ldconfig ignoring the first line?

I'm grateful but puzzled - thanks again :-)

atb

Glyn