installing php4 and php5 on one machine

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Mon May 12 21:04:41 UTC 2008

On Monday 12 May 2008 22:46:41 Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Mel pisze:
> > On Monday 12 May 2008 16:54:37 Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> >> How would you advise me to go about installing php4? I do not think I
> >> will be able to do it from ports (it will require an ancient version of
> >> php 4.10). Also I do not want to mix dependencies and such.
> >
> > Jail for sure.
>
> Thanks!
>
> > There's more then one reason to do this in a jail. First of all, you can
> > seperate the php versions, something that's not supported by the ports
> > system.
>
> And here comes my question. Can the php5 installation be left intact and
>    php4 be built in a jail?

Yes. I build ports for 6.x machines, on a 7.x machine in a jail. So you can
seperate it perfectly.

>    And finally, would I also need to build
> another instance of apache in jail?

Yes. You basically create a seperate FreeBSD installation, without the kernel.
Complete with devfs and seperate user accounts. It is better to start this
way and if you get paranoid about all the things running, it is easy to
remove things one by one till it stops working ;)

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.