Dowloading entire source code

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon May 12 14:30:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 07:09:03PM +0530, Onkar wrote:

> I am a newbie  to FreeBSD . I want ot downlod entire FreeBSD source code for
> reference. Please let me know how do i go about it.

If you are installing FreeBSD on a machine, then the easiest thing
to do is just check source when you are selecting those things to
install.    That will install the entire source for FreeBSD in /usr/src/...

The ports is a separate thing.   You probably do not want to install
the entire source for everything in the ports tree.   That changes
constantly anyway.    Just install the ports tree and then csup it
to update it to the latest.   Then, you can get any port source you want
by going to /usr/ports/whatever and downloading it from there.
Downloading the source for a port can be very complicated because
many of the ports have lots of dependancies which cause other ports
to be pulled in.   That is all handled by the make files in the
ports tree.    So, if you download, build and install a port by
going to it in the ports tree and typing
  make clean
  make
  make install
  make clean

It will download the necessary sources, including the dependancies,
build them and install them.   The sources will be left in the
ports tree source files.

////jerry