[Bulk] Re: root login stops working

nepbabu nepbabucxspamfree at yahoo.ca
Sun May 11 22:07:40 UTC 2008

Thus spoke Chad Perrin on Sunday, 11 May 2008 at 13:58:46 -0600:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 11:50:46AM -0700, Dennis Flynn wrote:
> > I'm running FreeBSD wx.dennis-flynn.net 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008     root at logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
> >
> > About a day after install root login no longer works - even on the console.

[ .... ]

> For security purposes, you should probably actually configure your Debian
> system to behave more like your FreeBSD system, with regard to SSH.  Set
> the PermitRootLogin value in /etc/ssh/sshd_config to "no" to prevent
> remote logins over SSH as root.  This behavior is intended as a security
> measure.  To access root remotely, log in over SSH as an account that has
> su access, then su to root, rather than just logging in as root directly.

I think sshd_config in Debian has "PermitRootLogin" to "no" by default (i.e., as part of default installation). It's been a while since I've munged with the default configs (correct me if I am wrong).

--
Cheers,
Bikal KC (Please use: nepbababucxspamfree_at_yahoo DOT ca)