advice needed regarding OS & Hardware.

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Sat May 10 19:42:05 UTC 2008

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>>    to the 4.8-R
>
> if your things work fine - keep as is don't change both software and
> hardware.
>

>>    For a commercial use server
>>    1) Which version do you recommend, shall I go for 7.0-R ?
>>        or 6.3-R.
>
> 6.3
>

>>    2) Hosting company hardware is
>>   * Single Intel E6300 CORE 2 DUO 1.86Ghz /1066MHz FSB /2MB L2
>> Cache    * 2GB DDR2 RAM    * 2x 250GB/7200 RPM Serial ATA Drives - Hot
>> Swap; RAID1    * 3Ware 8006-2LP SATA RAID Controller    * 2
>> 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports
>>
>>    Any of the above parts incompatabile with FreeBSD, or it has any bug ?
> check what ethernet ports are. other should work fine.
>
>>    They didnot mention the brand of ethernet ports
>
> if it's realteks, marvell etc. you will have a problems

Aloha.

 From my own experience:
Realtek pci 1000 8169 re0 work fine and are stable. The TrendNet brand
has corrected the previous issues with the on board cards.
These 8169 cards are plug in pci that work fine (not on board).

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* - 8.* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >