: freebsd7 on older machines

kenneth hatteland kenneth.hatteland at kleppnett.no
Sat May 10 17:15:47 UTC 2008

------------------------------ Message: 7 Date: Fri, 09 May 2008
13:39:49 -0700 From: prad <prad at towardsfreedom.com> Subject: freebsd7 on
older machines To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org Message-ID:
<20080509133949.53b83c29 at gom.home> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=US-ASCII i can't seem to boot the cdrom on older hardware
(500MHz and down). i read somewhere that the older drives aren't
supported by the installation cdrom. i want to create a series of 'dumb
terminals' which can ssh -Y into a faster machine. if necessary i
suppose i can floppy in and then install via nfs. or i can setup the hd
on another machine that does support the install cdrom and then transfer
to the older machine. here are the specific questions: 1. do older
machines work better with older versions of freebsd? 2. if i dd a hd
(with freebsd) onto another hd will i have a problem with the mbr and be
unable to boot? 3. are there any other ideas for install?
-- In friendship, prad

I have with success installed 7.0 on a pentium 133 mhz laptop with 96
meg ram. compiled X and fluxbox from source. The whole installation took
a week or so ;) Works like a charm, except firefox is heavy load for
this ancient piece of machinery. Also use xfce compiled from source on
old 350 - 450mhz  machines  nicely.
I usually use cdrom boot and then ftp install. On machines with no cd,
or no working rom drives I  use  floppy  boot versions of FreeBSD and
then ftp the rest of the install. When wanting to use cdrom boot where I
have no floppy, or bios doesn`t support cdrom boot (ie no bios upgrade
to fix it either) I use a floppy tool called "smart boot manager" that
when booted enables me to continue on most other media of my desire.(
gives a new boot menu with among others cdrom driver loaded) I suggest
this option for your convenience......

Kenneth Hatteland, Norway