FBSD 6.2 Xeon 2.4ghz CPU and high load

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Sat May 10 07:10:45 UTC 2008

>> and what most unix users do.
>
> It is what a lot of unix users have done historically, but now that there is

and still most do.

> It's not a "Unix way" versus "Other OS Way" thing -- its a response to the
> change
> in direction hardware development has taken over the past several years.
> Chip

on multichip hardware you can do many different things too - even faster
as it's spread over cores.

> and
> how much cache RAM there is on each chip.  4 cores and 8MB is just the latest
> step in that evolutionary arms race.

that's much better than "more gigaherts" way.

any unix should support it good - with any kind of load.

today i see performance improvements are mostly towards synthetic
benchmarks like running 8 threads of mysql server.

it looks cool on paper, but we need good performance when running
concurrently many different things.

if one plan to use single one program - why unix at all?

as i've tested 7.0 once, it was on same computer noticably slower under
high load of different programs.

now i read 6.* is slower than 4.* (i never user 4.*)

isn't it something wrong with it?!

> It depends very much on the application load you have to support and the sort
> of hardware you have available.  For the sort of multicore chips that are all
> the
> rage nowadays, I'd go with 7.0 every time, even running single threaded
> applications.

did you actually made a comparision with 6.*? not with "paper benchmarks"
but just run 100 different things and check how responsive machine is.