FBSD 6.2 Xeon 2.4ghz CPU and high load

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Fri May 9 22:19:35 UTC 2008

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On May 9, 2008, at 8:54 AM, DAve wrote:
>> The issue I am seeing is that my server load, under the same traffic
>> load, has increased 4 times or more. Where previously we saw a high
>> load on the servers of 5 to 8, we are now seeing 14 to 17. Since the
>> upgrade Sendmail has begun to timeout connections.
>
> You should look more into the status of the various processes, and how
> long it takes your mail scanning to process a message compared to
> previously.  It might be the case that the config under 6.2 is allowing
> more instances to run at once and is just barely nudging the system into
> excessive paging.  Once that happens, performance drops and the system
> load increases significantly.
>
> Do a couple of "ps aux | head -20" every 5 minutes or so, and put that
> data somewhere on a website, the process states will help give a better
> picture of what's going on.
>
> [ ... ]
>> bash-2.05b# top
>> last pid: 85205;  load averages: 12.89, 13.78,
>> 14.66                                                              up
>> 47+15:51:31  15:20:01
>> 126 processes: 12 running, 79 sleeping, 35 zombie
>> CPU states: 43.8% user,  0.0% nice,  6.3% system,  0.0% interrupt,
>> 50.0% idle
>> Mem: 1008M Active, 582M Inact, 211M Wired, 78M Cache, 112M Buf, 122M Free
>> Swap: 4096M Total, 304M Used, 3792M Free, 7% Inuse
>>
>> I am suspicious of the kernel being the culprit because the system
>> looks as if it is not working very hard, CPU load never shows above
>> 50% idle. I found one thread which mentions that as an issue and
>> offers a patch.
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2007-February/022526.html
>>
>> Currently I am running the SMP-GENERIC kernel and sysctl shows the
>> following.
>>
>> hw.model: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
>> machdep.hlt_logical_cpus: 0
>> machdep.hyperthreading_allowed: 0
>> kern.smp.cpus: 4
>> I see dev.cpu.0 through dev.cpu.3
>>
>> Can anyone offer a solution? Is this a known issue I can easily
>> correct? At this point I am left with either rolling back to 4.11 or
>> trying another OS.
>
> It might be reasonable to try hyperthreading enabled, as your type of
> load might be improved by it on....

Funny that, enabling hyperthreading immediately dropped my load by half,
I see CPU0, CPU1, CPU2, CPU3 now in top. I also see my CPU load
reporting correctly as well. I see ranges from 10% idle to 80% idle, not
locked at 50% and above.

That seems to have cured several ills. I will know more Monday at 8:30am
when the business email traffic kicks in.

DAve

--
In 50 years, our descendants will look back on the early years
of the internet, and much like we now look back on men with