slapd won't start with nss_ldap.conf

Robert Fitzpatrick lists at webtent.net
Fri May 9 21:09:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 22:44 +0200, Jonathan McKeown wrote:
> On Friday 09 May 2008 14:36, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > On a FreeBSD 6.1 with openldap-server-2.3.39, I have setup nss_ldap and
> > pam_ldap, but cannot get slapd to start as long as I have nss_ldap.conf
> > present, it just hangs and nothing in the messages or debug logs. I just
> > copied ldap.conf to nss_ldap.conf, see contents below.
>
> So, to start slapd, the system needs the group info for user ldap - from
> slapd. It times out and retries a few times, and eventually starts slapd
> using the group information from /etc/passwd and /etc/group, but the timeout
> and retry options by default take several minutes.

Seems my core problem is something wrong with the openldap setup on that
box. I had taken the slave ldap server up to 2.3.41 and it was not
having this slapd/nss_ldap startup problem. I don't know if it is bad
with a synrepl slave earlier version that the master, but I just didn't
want to mess with the master until it proved OK and all seems perfectly
great on the slave except my boot order issue....

Thanks for the response, and yes, the openldap list owner finally
rejected my message and gave me the pointer to start slapd with the
owner and group by id instead of name. After reading the start script to
get the owner and group by id in the rc.conf file, I am now starting the
process in that way. While doing that I realize that I can handle boot
order by name of the file and gave it a prefix of 001. I will test my
changes tomorrow when I go on site to replace a UPS. If all goes well on
the slave, I'll upgrade the master and see if my pesky nss_ldap issue
goes away. And, yes, I was only waiting the length of time it normally
took when the nss_ldap.conf file was missing, few seconds max.

--
Robert