FBSD 6.2 Xeon 2.4ghz CPU and high load

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Fri May 9 18:51:56 UTC 2008

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> FreeBSD 6.2 is I believe slower than 4.11 for single processor systems
>> and processes which pretty much run single threaded -- ie. exactly what
>> you're trying to run.  This would cause exactly the sort of symptoms
>> you're
>> seeing.
>
> and what most unix users do.
>
>> Try 7.0 instead -- it has all of the speed at multi-threaded, multi-core
>> type stuff but has also regained the sort of performance levels you could
>
> so 4.11 is fastest?

I would be inclined to try another version if I knew what the cause of
this issue was exactly, and I saw in the release notes that the issue
was resolved in 7.X. But I cannot just try a new version on a production
server as an experiment. I've hosed this up enough thinking 6.2 was out
long enough to not surprise me.

I've not compared them on any server running multiple CPUs, but on a
single physical CPU server I've yet to see 5.X or 6.X keep up with 4.X.
I've been poo poo'd heartily for saying so, more than once.

I would hope, and I do think, this is easily solved. I've already had
one private email stating a binary upgrade to 6.3 solved the same
problem for them. I wish I could find that email again 8^(

DAve

--
In 50 years, our descendants will look back on the early years
of the internet, and much like we now look back on men with