coretemp 70C = CPU too hot?

Christian Zachariasen chrizach at gmail.com
Fri May 9 07:14:12 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Wojciech Puchar <
wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> As with so many other things in the computer world, it depends. With no
>> case
>> fans, it's weird that the computer gets colder if it has something above
>> and
>>

> no it's not. the machines above and below has proper cooling, and transfers
> this machine heat by conduction - rack cases are mostly metal and conduct
> heat well.

I've very little experience with computers in racks, but if the machines are
actually touching, then yes, this could be the case.

The 65 C temperature a previous poster was talking about is not the maximum
operating temperature for the actual processor, it's the maximum temperature
in the case while the computer is operating. As far as I know CPU
temperatures are measured on the actual processor die, and the case
temperature will normally be *much* lower.

Christian Zachariasen