Best Java 1.6 JDK for FreeBSD?

Gunther Mayer gunther.mayer at googlemail.com
Wed May 7 14:05:26 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

We're currently running a busy java web application with diablo-jdk 1.5
and jboss 4.0.5 on FreeBSD 6.2 (yes it's outdated, will upgrade to 6.3
very soon). That combination has proven to be very stable in the past.
Now we'd like to start making use of some 1.6 only features in the app
and thus were wondering about 1.6 support on java.

Now seeing that there's no diablo jdk for 1.6 afaict I have three options:

   1. Use linux-sun-jdk 1.6 using the linux compatibility layer
   2. Use the native FreeBSD jdk 1.6
      (http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/status.html) but which
      is officially only beta quality
   3. Forget about 1.6 altogether and stick to 1.5 semantics in our code

Which one do you think is the most stable option? Well, the way I've put
it 3. clearly is the most stable but I'd like an honest consideration of
1. and 2. Does anybody use 1.6 in production on FreeBSD? What have your
experiences been?

Gunther