suggestion on a backup utility

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Wed May 7 12:37:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 12:06:03PM -0400, David Banning wrote:

> I wonder if anyone can recommend a good backup utility for FreeBSD.
> If it's in the ports, great. I would like to just specify which
> directories I would like to backup, how often and have it tar or zip
> the files into a directory - if it has off-site ftp, fine, but I can
> do that part myself via crontab.
>
> I realize I could just make a script file with some tar commands,
> but I'm looking for something that is quicker to maintain and
> allows me to organize what I'm backing up.
>
> I have been using reoback but recently I ran into some problems
> with is duplicating files X 10! - I looked into to solving it but
> it might be easier to just try something else.

For backing up purposes, I use a number of tools.

For files that I'm constantly changing, then I check them into
subversion. This includes the files for my website, since it is in a
constant state of flux. Then it's just a case of checking out the tree
and running $ svn update on it on other machines when I edit anything.

For databases (fairly static with few updates), I just drop the
database and scp the file to other machines/disks.

For a tree that I'm constantly adding to but the content is then
unchanging, my LaTeX letters, templates & other documents, I use
rsync:

$ rsync -avruz ./latex/ frank at melon:~/latex

Hence, just a few files that I've added since last backup get copied
across.

I backup config files with scp along with any scripts I may have
written.

I use these methods to keep a server, workstation and laptop in sync.

I don't archive anything (eg. write it to CD or DVD). In case of fire,
I grab the laptop & run. In case of asteroid impact, my data dies with
me ;)

My audio CDs will be covered by insurance.

If I had directories with piles of data in it, then I'd use
dump/restore but I don't.

OS files, I don't give a monkeys about, I can always rebuild, ditto
ports.

As you see, I think you should use a number of different tools &
strategies dependent on the type of data you are backing up. They're
all scriptable but I tend to just backup when something has changed
rather than using cron. You soon get into the habit.

All my machines are protected by UPSes.

Regards,

--

 Frank