Writing userspace device drivers

Christopher Key cjk32 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 6 19:39:21 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm wanting to write a driver for lirc to allow me to transmit IR
signals via a Global Caché GC-100.  In essence, this requires me to
communicate with the GC-100 via TCP in response to ioctls (received?)
via /dev/lircX.

Can anyone point me in right direction towards achieving this?  Is it
possible to do everything in userspace?  Under Linux, there appears to
be something called FUSD, which allows one to write userspace device
drivers.  Is there anything similar under FreeBSD?

Ideally I'd like to keep the resulting solution as generic as possible,
so that it can be integrated into lirc, should anyone wish to.

Regards,

Chris Key