[SSHd] Increasing wait time?

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Tue May 6 17:31:23 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Gilles said:
> Hello
>
> I'm a bit tired of people trying to break into SSH:
>
> May  6 16:59:23 freebsd sshd[24649]: Invalid user agatha from
> 195.43.9.246
> May  6 16:59:26 freebsd sshd[24651]: Invalid user cristie from
> 195.43.9.246
> May  6 16:59:29 freebsd sshd[24653]: Invalid user number from
> 195.43.9.246
> May  6 16:59:31 freebsd sshd[24655]: Invalid user chamber from
> 195.43.9.246
> etc.
>
> Is there a way to configure SSHd, so that the wait time between
> login attempts increases after X failed tries?
>
> Thank you.

Not that I know of. You should look into denyhosts (in the ports) it
works well and even has a RBL feature to block some of these script
kiddies proactively. Unfortunately, these attempts have become a fact
of life. I probably get 20 - 30 attempts a day between my various
servers.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.0R/announce.html