living with freebsd

Chris Haulmark chris at sigd.net
Mon May 5 05:26:07 UTC 2008

Hello!

> i'd like to know how people live with freebsd.
>
> do you use only ports or only packages or a mixture?

Some uses just ports...while others use packages only if they exist in
the first
place or they cross compiled.

Hell, a lot of people use both ports and packages.

The reasons vary and it is not restrictive to pick either one.

> do you upgrade from version to version using freebsd tools or do it
> manually?

Manually is the traditional way.  The freebsd tools (if you meant the
binary
upgrade method) is just a new way.  Few are switching over as the time
progresses.  There are some in the production environment that prefer
using binary upgrades as it will provide lower downtimes.

> do you have a different approach regarding the above depending on
> whether it is for a server or a desktop?

Yes, avoid GUI stuff when using server or vice verse.  That's just one
example out of millions of examples.

> the handbook tells you what you can do, but i'd like to know what is
> actually done and why.

The way it should work:

You find out what you want your FreeBSD computer to do, you look into
the available
documentations on how to do it.  Not the other way around.

Chris