[6.3] Keeping host up to date

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Sun May 4 19:05:58 UTC 2008

On Saturday 03 May 2008 17:07:08 Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> Gilles wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I have some newbie questions:
> >
> > 1. Am I right in understanding that running "make ; make install" in
> > /usr/ports/ turns the port into a package, so that when I run
> > "pkg_info", it doesn't make any difference whether a package was
> > downloaded directly from the Net or compiled locally through the Ports
> > collection?
>
> When you compile a port, a package is created and installed (but you get
> to select the options. Pre-built packages have the default options and
> are usually older versions). In fact, you can even use the ports to
> create packages and install them on other systems. (See man ports)

Probably the most confusing thing for someone new to the ports system is:
- that a port that gets installed is referred to as a package
- that a tarball containing the compiled files to install a port is also
called a package.

When you compile and install a port, a tarball is NOT created. The 'make
package' target will do this for you.

Also, pre-built packages from FreeBSD-servers have the default options, or
more to the point the options that are set by the PACKAGE_BUILDING switch in
the port's Makefile if present.
But since you can make your own packages, it is perfectly ok to use a
build 'server' and upgrade 'client' machines using your own packages and your
own options.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.